The Aquasana AQ 4000 is another countertop water filter that takes your water seriously with their high-end technology.
Aquasana AQ 4000 Technical Aspects
The Aquasana AQ 4000 countertop water filter has been designed with the latest technology to ensure you access healthy clean water. Here are the technical aspect that comprises this water filtration system:
- Removes (not limited to) heavy metals such as lead, mercury and arsenic.
- Microorganisms such bacteria, Giardia, Cryptosporidium and others.
- Organic and inorganic compounds.
- Chlorine and chloramine.
- PFOA and PFOS (chemicals coming mainly but not limited to fire fighting activities).
- BPA free.
- 0.5 gallons per minute (1.89 lpm).
- Optimal between 20 to 80 psi.
- Activated carbon.
- Catalytic carbon.
- Ion exchange membranes.
- Micron mechanical filtration membrane.
- Six (6) months or 450 gallons (recommended by manufacturer and depending on the usage).
- It was designed to treat chlorinated water only.
Private well or surface waters:
- The filter does not have certain features to remove specific water contaminants coming from a private well or surface untreated waters.
- Small to medium.
- 12h x 7w x 4d (all in inches).
- 1 year.
- NSF/ANSI 42, 53, 401 and,
- P473 (for PFOA and PFOS).
The AQ 4000 was developed by Aquasana to purify tap water instantly, reducing 76+ contaminants while retaining beneficial minerals.
Two (2) filters, 2 brass fittings, 2 washers and 2 tubing comprise this system. There is no need for anything else. No faucet is included with this filter.
This is a countertop water filter that requires minimal installation and maintenance.
What to Consider before Buying the AQ 4000 Water Filter
Filters and Pollutants Removed
Among the contaminants removed, we can mention chlorine and chloramine, heavy metals, organic chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and chlorine-resistant microorganisms. The result is healthier and tastier water for you and your family.
What makes the difference between this filtration system and the others is Aquasana’s signature CLARYUM® dual filtration system that ensures your water retains important minerals that your body need such as magnesium and calcium.
The system consisting of four (4) phases of filtration including:
- Activated carbon filter: Reduces pharmaceuticals, herbicides, pesticides, VOCs and MTBE
- Catalytic carbon that targets chlorine and chloramine contaminant (around 97% reduction).
- Ion exchange membranes to remove heavy metals such as mercury, lead, Cr6+, arsenic and others and,
- Last but not least, an absolute sub-micron mechanical filtration to remove the smallest particles such has asbestos.
Both filter cartridges have a lifespan of six (6) months or once you have reached 450 gallons of filtered water.
Operation & Maintenance
Due to the technologies involved, this filter removes up to 10% more contaminants that other similar systems; as you could expect, the system is easy to install and maintain.
The installation is very simple; there is no need for permanent additions to your kitchen (like drilling holes or anything similar).
Nevertheless, the only modification you will need to do is to replace the aerator of your faucet and attach the one provided (diverter) by Aquasana.
There are other elements that come within the box (like a brass adapter) to help you install the diverter with no dramas.
Once completed the first step, then you will have to connect the hoses. Just follow the color code.
Last important step is to purge the filter for around 10 minutes. This will ensure any loose particle with in the filters get removed.
In general there is no much maintenance to complete on the filter. The only advisable thing is to check the screens where the water comes out. It could get clogged up over time, reducing the water flow.
It can be fixed by removing the three (3) little screens, clean them and put them back again. Do it in a place where no risk of loosing them can occur (like your kitchen’s drainage).
The Flip Side…..
- Aquasana countertop water filters do not fit with pullout sprayer faucets. Check this before buying.
- The diverter may drip over 72 hours after the first installation; this is until the filters become saturated. After this, the system will have a residual flow after each filtration process, as a result of the vented system the filter has.
- It is normal to observe some tubing deterioration at the connection points (A & B) after several years; apparently there is no replacement kit for this, so you may need to buy another one.
- The last one would be the water flow. If you are not in a hurry to fill up a glass of water, then you should be fine (you can find yourself working on how to be patient!! 🙂 ); otherwise, we recommend to check the Aquasana AQ 5300, which is an undersink water filter capable of providing 0.72 GPM (good flow).
Aquasana AQ 4000 Review: Final Thoughts
The AQ 4000 is a versatile water filter that will help you improve the quality of the water you drink every day.
As discussed before, it will remove 76 plus most common contaminants and is fifteen (15) times more efficient than other pitcher water filter in the market.
PFOS and PFOA are some of the contaminants this filter will remove.
The installation, operation and maintenance of this filter is simple; just follow the manufacture’s recommendations and all shoul be fine.
As any other water filter system, this one has some flip sides, being the most important the one related to faucet match. Check that your faucet is going to accept the brass/diverter connection.
We hope this Aquasana AQ 4000 review and guide will give you the inside you need to take the call of buying or not this countertop water filter.
Size / Dimensions4.5/5
Operation & Maintenance5.0/5
What we like
- ✅ Easy to adapt to your water kitchen tap.
- ✅ Keeps the water important minerals for your body to absorb.
- ✅ Small size that will take little space from your kitchen bench.
What we do not like
- ⊖ Loosening the caps could be harder than imagined.
- ⊖ Replacement filters are a bit expensive.
- ⊖ Water flow could be very slow.