The PUR PFM400H will be a great choice if you are in need of a budget faucet water filter.
As compared to others, it removes more contaminants from the water through its unique Maxion Filter technology. Apart from that, is uses carbon filters to enhance the taste of the water.
The head can swivel at 360 degrees, which means that you can use it even in awkward shaped sinks. Our review will explain more details about it.
PUR PFM400H Faucet Filter Technical Aspects
This is what makes special this faucet water filter:
- Horizontal mount design.
- Clean sensor monitor displays the status of the filter.
- Superior Maxion Filter technology.
- Three (3) stage filter system
- Leak proof connector.
- Adds minerals to the water to enhance taste.
- Most common metals such as lead, mercury and cadmium (see the flip side section).
- Most pesticides (about 92% of them).
- Reduces chlorine taste and odor (96%).
- Volatile and semi-volatile organic compounds are reduced (98%).
Optimal Water Pressure (psi):
- Minimum 20 and maximum 70 psi. More than this will make the filter get unattached.
- Activated carbon and ion exchange.
- Trap sediment.
- Filter reference: MineralClear (RF-9999)
- Unlike other faucet filters, this one uses MAXION filter technology, which is very effective in purifying polluted water. This technology uses ion exchange and activated carbon to provide a superior filtration system.
The filters can clean up to 100 gallons of water; you should replace them after 2-3 months of constant use.
It is recommended to ONLY filter chlorinated water; this way, you will ensure the filter's integrity and your family's health is not compromised.
- It is considered a small filter.
- This faucet filter has a measurement of 6.75 X 5.25 inches. Since it has a horizontal design, it doesn’t take a lot of space.
- It comes with one (1) years limited warranty (from manufacturer). Note: if you need to return the filter, it may be at your cost.
- In terms of certification, it is certified by ANSI/NSF Standards 42, 53, 401.
What to Consider before Buying the PFM400H Tap Filter?
Filters and Pollutants Removed
PUR PMF400H is among the top rated faucet filters which is very effective in removal of different contaminants from water.
It reduces a total of 72 most common contaminants present in municipal waters including 99% lead and up to 96% of mercury from water. As a result, it ensures that the water you are consuming is not only safe but also has a great taste.
Additionally, PFM 400H filter is able to remove other contaminants such as industrial pollutants, 92% of agricultural pesticides, chlorine, mercury, pharmaceuticals from the water.
The unit uses the Maxion filter technology, which has 3 filtration stages. These stages are as follows.
- Stage 1 – All the sediments and other particles are trapped in the first stage.
- Stage 2 – At this stage microbial cysts and 99% of lead are removed
- Stage 3 – This is usually the last filtration stage. It is the stage where natural minerals are added to the water for a crisp and refreshing taste.
It can filter up to 100 gallons of water.
….the downsides of this filtration system:
1. it is noted that PUR PFM400H on tap filter will have leakages after a few months of operation; this may be caused by the quality of the part the faucet filter has and the increase pressure of the housing overtime.
For instance, the switch that controls the water direction (from filtering to non filtering mode) is known to be defective (ball valves may not seal properly do to accumulation of sediments), letting water to run towards the filter when the switch is in off position.
2. Seems to be that after the first filter replacement, the sensor indicator (light) will get stuck in the replacement position. If so, get customer service to guide you on how to fix this issue.
Operation & Maintenance
The PUR PFM400H on tap water filter is very easy to use and maintain. Installation is very easy and you will not need any tools.
This faucet filter works with a lithium battery (included in the unit) so the CleanSensorTM Monitor can indicate the status of the filter’s life.
Lastly, it has a chrome finish which prevents it from rusting.
PUR PFM400H Faucet Filter Review: Final Thoughts
With a three (3) filtration stages, you will enjoy good tasty water over a few months. On the operation side, this unit is easy to install and operate, including the filter replacement, which will be easy to do.
As any other faucet water unit, this one has a few downsides. The most important and common factor is the one related to leakages after a few months of operation. It is not clear what the reason behind is but could be potentially related to the quality of the parts used to manufacture this filtration system.
Last but not least, if you budget is tight and need to filter your municipal water, then you can try the PUR PMF400H faucet filter.
Size / Dimensions4.6/5
Operation & Maintenance3.8/5
What we like
- Easy to install.
- It comes with a leak proof connector.
- Enhances the taste of the water.
What we do not like
- Only suitable for standard faucets.
- Not all most common contaminanst are removed by this filter.
- Sensor will stop working after a few months.